DMAE (2-dimethylaminoethanol) is known to stabilize cell membranes. Cell membrane degradation has been proposed as one of the prime mechanisms of normal aging. DMAE is a precursor to choline and acetylcholine. Choline inside cells is converted to phosphatidylcholine and is used in the building and repair of cell membranes, especially in the brain.
What is DMAE | Deanol?
DMAE is an organic compound similar to choline. (It is not a vitamin as it can be produced naturally within the body.) Chemically, it has two methyl groups so has the common chemical name dimethylaminoethanol. The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) references it as 2-(Dimethylamino)ethanol. Its form is that of a clear liquid with a pale, yellow hue. In Europe, and elsewhere, DMAE is commonly referred to as ‘Deanol’.
Proponents claim that DMAE advances the brain’s production of acetylcholine, which affects functions such as short-term memory, learning, REM sleep and attention.
DMAE is a conditionally good nootropic, according to anecdotal evidences, although clinical studies have not yet fully realized.
Products with DMAE | supplement
Taking a DMAE supplement is classified as GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe). However, discerning buyers should consider a few important facts:
- DMAE supplements without other active ingredients Some DMAE supplements only have DMAE as the active ingredient. This typically means that the supplement either has too much DMAE – thus causing adverse effects (see below) – or too little DMAE to be effective. Further, and more importantly, is the fact that DMAE on its own is not sufficient to move towards peak performance as it cannot produce acetylcholine on its own. If you want greater personal development then the DMAE benefits you seek will really only come about when it is combined with other ingredients, such as Ginkgo Biloba, Tyrosine and B Vitamins. Such a blend of ingredients needs to be scientifically formulated by professionals.
- Make sure the DMAE supplement is manufactured in a GMP environment Some DMAE supplements are not manufactured in a GMP environment. This should ring warning bells as such products may have contaminants and be of very poor quality. Make sure that any supplement you purchase is manufactured in an FDA regulated, GMP environment, as this helps to ensure that you get the highest quality DMAE supplement available.
5 more facts about dimethylaminoethanol
- DMAE is known to reduce hyperactivity in children and is considered by many to be a natural alternative to Ritalin and Adderall. These claims are supported by Geller’s (1960) double blind study with fifty children
- We make trace amounts of DMAE in our brain
- High concentrations of it are found in certain oily fish foods, e.g. salmon, anchovies, sardines
- Taking a DMAE supplement with food will slow down the absorption rate
DMAE is sometimes called the smartest of the smart foods
DMAE supplement | weight lifting supplements
A DMAE supplement can prove to be one of the best weight lifting supplements, or bodybuilding supplements generally. Because of its ability to help an athlete to increase their concentration and to stay focused, you can get more out the final 15 minutes in your hourly workout.
Athletes know all too well how difficult it is to stay on track for the last 15 minutes. Your body is tired, your focus is slipping and there’s a fight to keep reaching your peak performance during this time. By simply doing one extra thing before you begin… by taking the right preworkout supplement… you’ll be able to get the most from your workout.
DMAE is also known to strengthen cell membranes, which could be concluded to improve muscles tone.
An article from the Calgary Herald interviewed pharmacologist Francois Marceau of Laval University in Quebec, who unearthed that skin cells exposed to DMAE swelled up, which may explain DMAE’s capacity to firm skin.
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD, also sometimes called ADD for Attention Deficit Disorder) is amongst the conditions commonly diagnosed and treated with drugs such as for example Ritalin (generic name: methylphenidate) While Ritalin stimulates brain function with a few results like DMAE causes, it really is potentially hazardous since it is a CNS (Central Nervous System) stimulant with effects just like amphetamines and cocaine.
Short-term side effects can include nervousness and insomnia, loss in appetite, nausea and vomiting, dizziness, palpitations, headaches, alterations in heart rate and blood pressure (usually elevation of both, but occasionally depression), skin rashes and itching, abdominal pain, fat reduction, and digestive problems, toxic psychosis, psychotic episodes, drug dependence syndrome, and severe depression upon withdrawal.
Caution: If excitation, restlessness, muscle tension, or headache occurs, reduce dosage or discontinue use.MORE INFORMATION